accents

Please post your questions about Japan, culture and travel. You can also ask questions about the Japanese language including vocabulary, grammar, Kanji, JLPT, speaking fluency, listening and anything else you would like!
KappaKokeshi

accents

Post by KappaKokeshi » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi. Sometimes when I'm watching Japanese movies or videos I hear men rolling their "r"'s. Most of the times it's a tough guy or when they're arguing. Is that a particular regional dialect thing?

ForumNinja
Site Admin

Re: accents

Post by ForumNinja » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:35 am

I think that rolled R is more of a tough guy thing. I don't think it's particularly geographically related but I have heard it both in Osaka and Tokyo where I have lived. You see it in Yakuza movies and sometimes in comedy shows.

Duff

Post by Duff » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:48 pm

Are there 'accent' variations from region to region in general though? Like someone from the UK from Birmingham might sound different to someone from Newcastle (as an example)

ForumNinja
Site Admin

Post by ForumNinja » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Duff wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:48 pm
Are there 'accent' variations from region to region in general though? Like someone from the UK from Birmingham might sound different to someone from Newcastle (as an example)
Oh completely. You have standard dialect, Osaka dialect, a whole bunch of dialects up north and that's not mentioning Kyushu which has a different dialect for each prefecture. I used to live in Miyazaki which has a completely different accent to standard Japanese. It felt like I had to relearn Japanese from scratch.

Here's an interesting video on the differences between Tokyo and Osaka dialects

youtu.be/jvLl2ueYBcE