JLPT (Japanese Learning Proficiency Test)

This is forum for general discussion about Japan, Japanese and anything that randomly floats into your head
Makster

JLPT (Japanese Learning Proficiency Test)

Post by Makster » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:48 pm

The JLPT (Japanese Learning Proficiency Test) is a nationally recognised examination ranging for the Japanese Language.
It ranges from N5 (simple Japanese) to N1 (advanced). Normally the exams are held twice a year in different regions of the world.

Any Learn Japanese Pod listeners take any of these examinations? How did you prepare for them and any tips for those wanting to take the test?
まだ まだ だね

ForumNinja
Site Admin

Re: JLPT (Japanese Learning Proficiency Test)

Post by ForumNinja » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:14 am

Oh NOW you're asking...

Here are some general tips in no particular order. Kinda obvious but worth doing:

1) Do a mock test to get a feel of the test and find out what areas you need to work on. I think there are some free mock tests you can download on line.
2) Buy the JLPT textbooks specific to your level as they will really help you prepare. The Nihongo Sou Matome series is pretty good but you will need to at least read Hiragana and have a basic level of vocabulary in Japanese to read. https://amzn.to/2DcrxLG

3) Use SRS apps such as Anki and Memrise to practice and memorize the essential kanji, vocab and grammar you need to know to pass the test.

4) If possible get a teacher or enroll in a group class. I think having a good teacher will speed up your progress and they'll be able to catch mistakes before they become bad habits.

Anyway, just a few ideas for ya!

Duff

Post by Duff » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:25 pm

ForumNinja wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:14 am
3) Use SRS apps such as Anki and Memrise to practice and memorize the essential kanji, vocab and grammar you need to know to pass the test.
I'm experimenting with LingoDeer too - that seems to use the Katakana from very early on in it's training programme and has an option to do some stuff with Kanji too (as well as some gesture related elements for writing characters)

It's still early on, but might be useful 'on the go' maybe - will report back further as I progress :lol:

EDIT to add, it also uses furigana as well - which is super helpful to absolute beginners like me.

Makster

Post by Makster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:21 pm

Tips given in a Japanese Pod episode is soo true;
Get good at reading quickly and listening. There is barely anytime to lull around on any question when it comes to the reading sections and the listening you only get one round through- there are no repeats
まだ まだ だね

Duff

Post by Duff » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:33 pm

Makster wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:21 pm
Tips given in a Japanese Pod episode is soo true;
Get good at reading quickly and listening. There is barely anytime to lull around on any question when it comes to the reading sections and the listening you only get one round through- there are no repeats
Useful to know - I'd like to look at taking the test one day, so good to have some idea where I'd need to be at to stand a chance of passing.

ForumNinja
Site Admin

Post by ForumNinja » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:57 am

One way to do is it get a mock test or just apply for the test. Just rock up on the day, take the test and see how you do.

Any ideas what level you are?

Duff

Post by Duff » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:36 am

ForumNinja wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:57 am
One way to do is it get a mock test or just apply for the test. Just rock up on the day, take the test and see how you do.

Any ideas what level you are?
Lower than the lowest right now :lol: I am still very much a beginner, with odd words and simple phrases about my limit. Though my reading of Hiragana is improving now; albeit still limited to simple, common words it's a nice feeling to recognise something and be able to translate it :D

ForumNinja
Site Admin

Post by ForumNinja » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:56 pm

So looks like you can aim for level 5. So Kemushi chan on youtube did a video on passing the N1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biMdXIpHK14

She gives this hilarious piece of advice for mistakes to avoid when aiming for the JLPT. One of them is make sure you aren't taking the JLPT for the first time. And if it's the first time you've ever taken it...?

Basically what she is saying is that you should either do mock tests or expect to do badly the first time you take it. Anyway, watch the video even though she is talking about N1. Some of the advice applies to all levels.

Duff

Post by Duff » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Thanks Alex - I'll give it a watch. :D