breaking up lines of words when reading

Please post your questions about Japan, culture and travel. You can also ask questions about the Japanese language including vocabulary, grammar, Kanji, JLPT, speaking fluency, listening and anything else you would like!
KappaKokeshi

breaking up lines of words when reading

Post by KappaKokeshi » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:39 pm

I have been using children books to practice my reading of hiragana and katakana. Sometimes there is a long string of syllables and it's hard to know where the breaks are. Sometimes I use a particle to indicate a break in words. What is a good way to gauge what the word is and were the next one starts?

Makster

Re: breaking up lines of words when reading

Post by Makster » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:45 pm

I've had troubles with this too.
From experience, it comes from recognising conjugated endings, and vocab.
まだ まだ だね

ForumNinja
Site Admin

Post by ForumNinja » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:11 am

This might sound counter intuitive but I think things get easier when you start to read Kanji. Obviously you have to study them but I find a long line of unbroken Hiragana is really tricky to read. The kanji breaks up the sentences into a more scanable line of text.

Remember, Kanji gives you the basic meaning and Hiragana is usually used to conjugate verbs and give your structural context.

So...

昨日寿司を食べた (Kino sushi o tabeta) Yesterday I ate sushi - is easier to read than;
きのうすしをたべた

Anyway, have faith dear samurai nihongo students, keep practicing your reading skills and learning kanji and it will get easier I promise.

KappaKokeshi

Post by KappaKokeshi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:32 am

Aiiieee, I can't deal with Kanji...I know I'm supposed to be learning that as well but...

ForumNinja
Site Admin

Post by ForumNinja » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:39 am

KappaKokeshi wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:32 am
Aiiieee, I can't deal with Kanji...I know I'm supposed to be learning that as well but...
If you can at least read Hiragana and Katakana slowly I would suggest just go straight into learning kanji. Just go slowly for now, you'll be fine!