Japanese restaurant food to go? Do they do that?

Please post your questions about Japan, culture and travel. You can also ask questions about the Japanese language including vocabulary, grammar, Kanji, JLPT, speaking fluency, listening and anything else you would like!
KappaKokeshi

Japanese restaurant food to go? Do they do that?

Post by KappaKokeshi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:34 am

You don't hear much about asking for food to go from restaurants. For instance, let's say I'm getting some onigiri for lunch and want them to make me some to take home. Will places do that?

ForumNinja
Site Admin

Re: Japanese restaurant food to go? Do they do that?

Post by ForumNinja » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:37 am

It depends on the restaurant but compared to the UK (and I'm guessing the US too) it's not as common to ask to take food home with you.
You can sometimes do it but you have to ask.

持ち帰りできますか Mochikaeri dekimasu ka? - Can I take it home?

KappaKokeshi

Post by KappaKokeshi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:11 pm

thanks! I don't want to do a cultural faux pas by assuming that what we do here in the US they would do there..Thank you for the phrase to ask:)

ForumNinja
Site Admin

Post by ForumNinja » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:24 am

I did a tiny bit of research and it looks like "to go boxes" are not as common in the US partly due to legal reasons.
Apparently if you run a restaurant you need a license to supply food on site. For take out you need a separate license. So although fast food chains such as Mos Burger have both, your average mom and pop greasy spoon would only have one.

Therefore they would be technically breaking the rules if they wrapped up food for you.

Outside of fast food chains, I've asked to take food back home with me and maybe about 50% of the time it's not a problem. I think it's fine to ask but don't be surprised if they say no.